Each of our All My Writers writers started out as a soap fan and reader of soap websites, just like you. When Eye on Soaps (our original incarnation) debuted in 2000, I selected the most articulate and well spoken people who had emailed me over the years when I wrote for another site and asked them if they wanted to write a weekly column.
Kate Brown is the last of the original Eye on Soaps writers and all of the other contributors on staff at this time started off as a guest writers.
If you are interested in being a guest writer for All My Writers, start writing, but first, be sure and read the Guidelines for Guest Writers below.
Submission of a column indicates that you have read and fully understand the Guidelines for Guest Writers and agree to those provisions.
Not every column submitted will be posted. Some will be filed for future consideration. Those who submit columns will be informed of our decision within 2 weeks of their submission. The most common reasons why an article is not accepted for publication is A) too many grammar and/or spelling issues (I don’t edit and submissions must be print ready) and/or B) the column is a fan-based agenda disguised as an article.
We’re looking for fun observations, intelligent discourse and conversational ramblings that we can follow without getting lost. Think about it and if you think this is something you would enjoy, give it a try!
Guidelines For All My Writers Guest Writer Submissions
1) Subject matter for columns submitted should encompass one of the areas of interest we cover: book, movie and product reviews, daytime or prime time TV (past or present), recipes and household hints and general commentary. You are free to vary your subject matter from submission to submission (for instance, you can write about “Dark Shadows” one time, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers the next time and “The Young and The Restless” a different time). You do not have to limit yourself to the box you create with your first submission. Remember that while one submission might not be what we are looking for, another might just hit the spot.
2) All material submitted for consideration as a guest column should be submitted “print ready,” meaning it says exactly what you want to say and has been run through both spell check and grammar check or had another person edit it for you. Multiple edits after the column has posted are not feasible. Columns should be written in Arial, Times New Roman or Verdana font, 12pt, black print. Any column that contains multiple grammar or spelling errors will not be accepted for consideration. Editorial proofing is not available from All My Writers staff and is the responsibility of the writer.
3) Columns should be formatted in Microsoft Word, Rich Text or pasted into an email. There is no limit or requirement in terms of the size of the column; however, the column should be divided appropriately into paragraph form and not be many thousands of words in one long paragraph.
4) All work submitted in a column to All My Writers becomes the property of our website as it is posted. By submitting work, you agree that it may be edited as needed (the intent and integrity of the piece will be preserved as much as possible). You also should inform us if the material has been previously published elsewhere. We typically post only original, first-run material. If you use the work of another person (quotes, photos, etc), it is essential that you provide a link back to the source and give credit.
5) Agendas are expressly NOT allowed. Opinions are welcome, but platforms are not. If you are writing solely to attack or worship at a particular altar on an ongoing basis, please know that that this is not what we are looking for in our guest columns. We want intelligent, clever writing that is fun to read and not oppressively (boringly) one-sided.
6) Our preference is to find guest writers who write because they have a strong love for writing and for the subject they are addressing rather than those who are locked into zealous adoration or degradation of one tiny aspect of the subject they are covering. Each one of our regular columnists (except for Maxine Bennett, who is, well, Maxine) started out as a guest writer.
7) You will not be paid for your submission. No one on staff at All My Writers is compensated financially for their work. We will, however, say “thank you” and we will mean it.
8) There is no guarantee that your work will be posted. We will carefully read and consider each submission. Some will be posted right away. Some will be filed away for future consideration. Decisions on what columns to post will be based on several factors, including but not limited to what is needed on the site at that time, the overall quality of the work, whether or not it is formatted as described above, whether it is print ready and adherence to these guidelines. A column may be returned to you with suggestions for changes that make it more in keeping with the type of work we are seeking at that time.
9) Swearing is allowed, but for occasional emphasis rather than as its own written language.
10) “Text talk” such as “u” for “you,” “L8tr” for “later” and other such abbreviations is typically not used in our columns and may result in rejection of the article. Please be literate. Headaches, I tell you. Headaches.
11) Slandering actors, other columnists, sites or other real life humans is not allowed in guest columns. Characters in television shows, movies or books are considered fictional and are definitely open for the occasional barb, but let’s not belabor the hate. Balance, gentle writers… balance.
12) Yes, balance is the atmosphere we seek to cultivate. Guest columns should support that site objective. We take our website and its content very seriously. We honor the right of different people to have different opinions and to present them respectfully and with class. We are looking for guest writers who are able to do that.
13) Readers will respond to guest writers by way of the comments function at the bottom of each column. Please be sure and come back to see if you have comments once your material is posted. Guest writers are expected to be gracious to the readers who reply to them. If you receive any comments that are offensive, please inform me immediately. (E-mail Katrina at firstname.lastname@example.org)
14) Please let us know how you would like to be bylined if your piece is accepted. You may use your real name, your first name only or a pseudonym.
Do you feel you have something interesting to say that others might enjoy reading? Do you know someone who should have their name in lights and be published on our site? Give them a nudge in our direction!
The staff of All My Writers loves to read the fun, intelligent work of others, so entertain us!
To submit your work to the editor and owner of All My Writers, take a deep breath (let it out), carefully read and follow the guidelines above, then send your masterpiece to email@example.com for consideration.
NOTE: Submitting your work to the above address indicates specifically that you have read and understand and agree to the guidelines as stipulated above. It also indicates that you understand that your work may or may not be posted and may also be retained for later publication. You will always receive an email reply within 2 weeks informing you of our decision regarding your submission.
Best of luck to you,